Thursday, January 21, 2016

Enabled by Essie



New discoveries are always fun. I remember the day I first discovered Essie Button’s YouTube video. After watching it, I immediately fell in love with her and began to go through some of her old videos; starting from her ‘brand focus’ videos, ‘empties’ videos, ‘haul’ videos, to her tutorials. Of course, she isn’t the only one who does those kinds of videos these days, but no one else on YouTube does them quite like she does.  Her style is quite unique, in my opinion, and her videos kinda convey this cool scandinavian-esque feeling. Which I love.

Last year, she changed her channel’s name to Estée Lalonde, which is actually her real name. I used to think that her real name was Essie Button until I found out that ‘Essie’ was a nickname given to her by her grandma and ‘Button’ was a moniker coined by her boyfriend. Anyways, I feel like her contents now are a bit different, especially after she changed her channel’s name. I personally don’t really fancy the change but “the only thing that is constant is change”, right? Despite the change, I still watch her videos. Her latest tutorial video is titled ‘Winter Berry Makeup Look’ and in that video, she sported this deep, deep, deep berry lip that was all kinds of stunning, which was the Sephora Cream Lip Stain in #14 Blackberry Sorbet. It wasn’t a new product or anything like that, but after seeing that in action, people seemed to fall head over heels in love with that lip color. Including moi. And I bet you already figured out what happened next.

Basically, it is a liquid lipstick in a tube. But because the color is so potent, directly applying the product with the doe-foot applicator is the last thing you want to do. I tried that once and all hell broke loose. The best way to apply this is by using a lip brush. I used the Real Techniques Fine Liner brush to apply the product on the border of my lips and to make sure that the edges wouldn’t be easily discernible. After you get your outline done, you can fill in your lips using the doe-foot applicator straightaway. I usually apply a thin film, blot my lips using a tissue, and finally apply a second layer. If you put too much layers on, it’ll then become a crumbly conundrum. Not good at all. 

I look nowhere like her with this on. But I’m glad I discovered something that is not mauvey pink in my stash and I liked it. Oh, looks like someone’s changed.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that Estee's definitely changed her content a little lately, though I feel like a lot of Youtuber's have been doing that. I love this shade though, it looks like such a perfect berry tone.

    www.thesundaymode.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Julia!

      Yes, I think she's hardly a beauty blogger/YouTuber now... she's more like a lifestyle 'influencer' now.

      I know right! Have you tried #13 Marvelous Mauve? It is hella gorgeous as well!

      Thank you for your comment!

      xx

      Delete