Thursday, February 25, 2016

Tired to the Bone, Happy to the Core


Last week, I was given a chance to be involved in a biannual event held in my uni. Actually, I pretty much ‘asked’ to be a part of it because I signed myself up for it. Not gonna lie, there were moments when I regretted my decision and wished for the week to swiftly pass.

Age wise, most of the others who signed up for this were younger than me. Not that I undervalued those who were younger than me, but you get what I mean. I thought there was no way for us to discuss anything non-work-related. I was wrong, though. Turned out that I wasn’t the eldest of the pack, which I thought was good. It also appeared that there were so many things other than work that the gang and I can relate to/discuss about. So, I was wrong again. Moreover, I had some eye-opening talks with a few of them that reminded me to some of the good things in life.

One of the talks that I had was about carrying ourselves as individuals. The way we act--live, in general, is based on our status, which determines the responsibilities we ought/expected to do. It also determine your position within the social hierarchy. The problem that I’ve seen on other people and experienced myself is that, our status can make us feel inferior. I’m not talking about being humble--this is also necessary--but I’m talking about a self-degrading mindset. It’s all in the head. It should be us who define what we want to do and more importantly how to do it. In other words, it depends on how we carry ourselves. Everyone else’s expectations toward us shouldn’t matter as long as we have the power of mind over matter.

I didn’t really have much time to, you know, interact with every single person there. But I had all the time to pretty much observe the new faces I was surrounded by, from the way they deal with their responsibilities to how treat each other. They may sound like nothing big, but it’s the little things that matter.

Apart from acting all professional and serious, I definitely had fun with them as well. I hadn’t had a good laugh in days and I finally had my hard-earned one (or more) right there. I even had some brief conversation over... lipsticks (I mean, let’s be real here). ‘No way for us to discuss anything non-work-related’ what?

All in all, it was one of the most tiring yet delightful experiences I’ve ever had the pleasure to gain. I’m chuffed that I crossed paths with these peeps. Too bad it was such a short time to get to know so many people. Regrets? What regrets?

No comments:

Post a Comment