Thursday, March 31, 2016

More Than Meets the (Cat) Eye


Doing my winged liner used to be the step I never skip before I step out of the door. I felt “naked” if I didn’t have that feline flick on. Now, I’m saying adieu to my ever-so loved Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper (SRSLY good stuff) and let ze eyes get used to being “naked”. I know that there are lots of other brands that sell pen liquid eyeliners, but I’m one that’s hard to please when it comes to liquid liners. Although, I’m thinking of getting the Wardah EyeXpert Optimum Hi-Black Liner. I tried it once and I was pretty delighted with the application and its performance. If you’re thinking of purchasing yourself one too, bear in mind that you need to make sure that the cap is secured tightly and to store it carefully, otherwise the nib will get dry.

I’m sure that a lot of people love em some winged liner too. For me, cat-flicks give that little something something to the eyes, that je ne sais quoi. But, it takes a lot of trials and errors to achieve that even, perfect wings for the process of creating them is not easy. Especially for me. So here are my learned lesson as well as some tips that might be useful to you or any eye liner noob out there.

First of all, I have myopia (around 9 or 10 of nearsightedness). Without my spectacles, my vision is blurry. So can you imagine how I do my wing? I literally put my compact mirror extremely close to my face every time I draw them. I also have to sit in a certain position to help me steady my right hand (which I use to do most things in general). The struggle is real. Welcome to my lyf.

My face shape makes another struggle. Our faces are not symmetrical, right? There are features that are slightly different on either side of our faces, mine included. The way my orbital bone is shaped makes my left eye appear more lifted than the other eye. Consequently, it affects the way other features on my left eye are shaped as well; my left brow is more arched and my lower lash line is more curved that my right one. They say that to draw a wing, all you have to do is simply follow the direction of the outer corner of your lower lash line and start create your wing. Given the aforementioned facts, clearly this technique is not gonna work for me if I wish to create even wings. Unless I tweak my own ways ,or better yet, figure out other tricks.

There are a lot of winged liner hacks on YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram... you name it. One trick that I used to swear by is by using scotch/surgical tape. This really helped me as a guideline/stencil and made sure that my wings were sharp, they could kill. If you’d like to try this trick, you should know that you’re gonna place the tape on your eye area which is so delicate, you don’t wanna be rough with it. You wanna make the tape less sticky so it’s not gonna be a pain in the ass to take off once you’re finished with your wing. All you have to do is first of all, grab the tape (around the length of your pinkie) and stick it at the back of your hand. You wanna remove the tape, then stick it again for several times to remove the most of the stickiness of the tape. Once it feels less sticky, place the tape starting from the outer corner of your lash line toward the tail of your brow on either side of your eye. Then, draw your wing. After everything looks good to you, you can finally remove the tapes. Hello, killer flicks. There are other hacks that you can try as well besides using surgical/scotch tape, like using business card or a spoon. The latter which I never intend to do. (Although spoons are brilliant eye lash curlers, they say!)

It is worth noting that mastering winged-liner can’t be done overnight. You may be armed with lots of Pinterest hacks, but you still need a lot of real practice. Failure is inevitable and the amount of memes on the Internet justify just that. You shouldn’t worry if you make any mistake, for there are things like Q-tips and moisturizer. You can get pointy cotton swabs that are ideal for correcting makeup mistakes--not to mention cat-flicks mishaps--at your local supermarket. You don’t need a lot of moisturizer to erase the errors, the tiniest bit will do. Adios, chaos. I find it better to use regular, creamy moisturizer than something balmy like the Vaseline petroleum gel. The Vaseline does the job of removing mistakes as well, but the texture is too greasy and it’ll be much harder if you want to draw a line over that corrected area.

I still remember the day I finally got to draw standard eye liner with even thickness on my both eyes. I was so proud of myself, I was thinking of putting that accomplishment on my CV. Even so, I’m still struggling to draw those perfectly drawn wings. Sometimes I can do them evenly in like 10 mins with zero mistake, other times it takes Q-tips after Q-tips to make them right.

That pretty much sums up my learned lessons, I guess. If you're still really struggling with your cat eye, I'd say that the first thing that you have to do is study your eye shape. People with certain eye shapes may find it difficult to pull off a cat eye look, but that doesn't mean that this look isn't for everyone. Again, just tweak your ways and you can always look for hacks on the Internet. These days, cosmetics brands have also come up with tools that can help you achieve that feline-flick easily.  I'm talking about those winged liner stencils. If you think that cat-flicks don't suit you, try tightlining a.k.a lining your inner rims with pencil eye liners or powder eye shadows. I rarely do this but I always love the outcome. The way I normally do this by taking my angled eye liner brush, dipping it into a black powder eye shadow, and finally pushing the product onto my third half of my upper waterline. It's less time consuming and much easier compared to doing winged liners with a liquid liner. Also, it's something that anyone can pull off!

What's your story? Do you experience similar adversities like I do?

7 comments:

  1. Drawing a perfect wing is a miracle in itself. Drawing two symmetrical ones is pure magic. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, so true!

    Thank you for reading and leaving your comment on my blog post, Carmen!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if I'm ever going to perfect the winged or cat eye liner I'd really have to study my eye shape as well. It'd be so much easier if I didn't have hooded eyes and if my eyes were symmetrical!

    www.thesundaymode.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you do! Try the duck tape hack or perhaps the tightlining instead! Hopefully it'll work on you :)

      Thank you for your comment! xx

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous winged liner.
    xoxo
    Serein
    http://sereinwu.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely look - gorgeous hun!

    Layla xx

    http://www.sprinklesofstyle.co.uk
    http://www.youtube.com/sprinklesofstyle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the cat eye liner! it really suits you :)

    https://vigiraj.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete