Thursday, December 22, 2016

Putting My Two Cents in



How do you trim your nails? I like to trim mine real short. I used to ask my dad if my nails and toenails deserve a MURI Award for Indonesia’s Shortest Nails, and he thought I was being ridiculous. Sometimes, I like to cut them until they almost bleed, but believe me, I ain’t  dat freak. We’ve all got our weird habits that nobody knows anyway

My preferences changed last year, though. I started to grow them out, shape ‘em, self-manicure ‘em… basically just let ‘em be pretty and have their moment. Then one day, I came across @two.cents account on Instagram and their lovely, lovely feed. What got me especially swooned was the wonderful nail design. The manicurists must be absolutely meticulous and downright creative. I then got intrigued, and decided to give it a try.

If you didn’t know, Two Cents provides at-home manicure service in Jakarta area, because #FingertipsMatter! They’re well known for their gel manicure offerings. The main difference between this type of nail varnish and regular lacquers is the longevity; gel manicure
can last for 2-3 weeks!

Now, let’s get on to the design. Determining which nail design to choose from was the fun (yet time-consuming) part. I wanted to incorporate negative space design and throw Mr Mendl’s Courtesan au Chocolat color palette from the Wes Anderson’s The Grand Budapest Hotel color palette into the mix. It was even harder to make up my mind when I came across other related color palette, but I finally went for one of the Royal Tenenbaums color palettes instead.



I then made my appointment via LINE and on the next day, the manicurist came to my place. The entire process took about 3 hours and I won’t bore you with all the details. Long story short, the process involved nail shaping, filing, and layering down some colors. The manicurist used a teeny tiny brush to paint my nails for best precision. Also, the process involved me putting my hands under UV light each time a color was laid down on my nails. Well, at least I believe it was a UV light. It was a loooong process indeed, so if you’d like to try this, you better get comfy!

Despite the fact that it took what feels like forever to finish, ‘the final result was absolutely impressive. The manicurist was so good, creative, and totally nailed it (sorry guys, I had to). My nails have never looked this pretty. They’ve got this negative space and Mondrian vibes now. One time, my friend said that they look like MoMA. I couldn’t agree more!



If you’d like to experience this awesome manicure service, simply add @two.cents to your LINE contact list and book for your appointment there. Oh, and don’t forget to choose your nail design! I recommend going to Pinterest and just start from there. I’m thinking about getting my nails done again some time later with another Wes Anderson’s color palette. Should I do another version from The Royal Tenenbaums or try the Grand Budapest Hotel’s pinkish color palette? Options, options...

2 comments: