Thursday, March 2, 2017

Stepping Out From the Usual Mauvey Pinks

Many, many moons ago, I saw Judy from itsjudytime on Youtube swatching some of the shades from the Smashbox Always On Matte Liquid Lipstick lineup. At the end of the video, she wore the color Stepping Out, which was a beautiful nude brown, (with In Demand on the center of her lips, which was a much lighter shade), did a kiss test, and there was no transfer shown. And just like that, it became my newfound love. What is new.


Weeks later, Jamie Paige, Jaclyn Hill, Dani, Serein Wu, and everyone were talking about these lippies on their videos. “Man, these must be THAT good!” I said to myself. And my love for it had grown even bigger and bigger. I kid you not, it appeared multiple times in my dreams... After researching for reviews and swatches of this particular shade on Pinterest, Instagram, and other places possible for countless times, you guessed it, mama bought herself a new lippie.

I couldn’t contain my excitement when I finally held the thing in my hand. But when I slapped it on my lips, it seemed somehow gray-ish brown, I almost looked like a cadaver. Was I disappointed? Well, kind of. But then I remembered that this ‘washed-out’ kinda look was the look that Ricci Pamintuan would pull off; she loved her monochromatic, 90s makeup look. So, I wasn’t disappointed for too long. Also, I figured that this lip would pair nicely with a smoky eye look. And that’s the look I’ve been sporting everytime I wear this lipstick.


There’s nothing special about the packaging. Well, maybe there is. Usually, liquid lipsticks come in slim, cylindrical tubes. But obviously, these ones don’t. As you can see, the shape of the tube is square, and they’re a bit chunky so it’ll take more space in your makeup bag than a typical liquid lipstick would. My Rollover Reaction one is also square in shape, but it’s much slimmer compared to this one.

I can tell you what’s special about the part of the packaging though; the doe-foot applicator that’s shaped like a teardrop. Very similar to my Armani Lip Magnet. It really makes application feels easy, as the pointed tip can make the edges look neat. It also has some sort of a well that gathers just enough product to cover your top and bottom lip, which also goes to show how pigmented the color is and that you don’t need to double dip to achieve that perfect application.

The texture reminds me of the Sephora Cream Lip Stain lippies; moussey, smooth, and not streaky whatsoever. But I have to say that this has the tendency to ball up on my lips. I’m not talking big-ass crumbles all over my mouth, just small ones which can easily be removed by gently rubbing my finger over my lips. So, this isn’t a huge deal-breaker.

Another weird thing about this lippie is that sometimes it does transfer, but most of the time it doesn’t. I don’t know, maybe it has to do with my lips’ condition at those weird times, I’m beginning to think that this lipstick might have a mind of it’s own. I may sound like I’m complaining, but I’m not. Because although it’s weird sometimes, it’s amazingly long-wearing at all times.

I have never come across such a long-lasting lip product. This will stay on your lips for hours and hours. Yes, it may transfer, but the color on your lips will remain intact. I was sucking a mango pit the other day, and I was going for it real hard (that sounds so wrong...). Then, I looked in the mirror and was so shook because this lipstick still stayed put. Greasy dishes will only remove the color in the middle part of my lips, which in any case, is just normal.

All in all,  I’m very impressed with this lipstick. I’m thinking to add Miss Conduct, an amazing deep red that’s almost an oxblood to my collection. Or should I check out True Grit instead? Decisions, decisions...

No comments:

Post a Comment